academicsuk.myfreeforum.org Forum Index academicsuk.myfreeforum.org
A forum for UK academics to chat anonymously about research, teaching and all the other things that make life difficult. I was thinking of calling this forum "Herding Cats" because that's what managing academics is supposed to be like.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you prepare new lectures?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    academicsuk.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Teaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: How do you prepare new lectures?  Reply with quote

Something that new academics are often scared of, and older academics often shy away from too.

Post your ideas here, good or bad. To kick off, I would say that my two strategies tend to be either:

Use someone else's notes, which then ends up being really boring as they haven't really been updated since the year dot or

Do a literature search which ends up being FAR too big and long and take FAR too much time - I am not really sure I need to do 2 days in the library followed by 3 days reading for a one hour undergrad lecture.
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing my new Masters lecture just now - it is like pulling teeth - I did have a head start in that a colleague asked me to review a book that is very appropriate to the topic but even so, this is just such hard work. Any tips at all from anyone???

I once wrote about 10 new lectures in the space of a couple of months, entirely new, and basically from scratch, and I have no idea how I did it - it's such a slow process for me.
frog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a rare thing... someone with a high teaching load who never gives lectures! But doesn't sounds fun, good luck with it! frog
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have instead of lectures? Seminars? Lots of project students? Fieldwork? I'm intrigued!
frog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach entirely in a studio, or sometimes outside! So thought it's 40-50 people, we're all sitting round on associated chairs and stools. Lots of breaking into small groups for discussion. Lots of retreating to drawing boards and doing something then coming back to talk about it. Sometimes a short powerpoint or more developed presentation. Mostly tutorials: group, paired or individual. As my M.Ed tutor remarked when he visited, it's more like primary school. And I guess it is, but with a much more sense of developed expertise!

Of course, our students do get lectures for some aspects of the curriculum... but not by me Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    academicsuk.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Teaching All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: