academicsuk.myfreeforum.org Forum Index academicsuk.myfreeforum.org
A forum for UK academics to chat anonymously about research, teaching and all the other things that make life difficult. I was thinking of calling this forum "Herding Cats" because that's what managing academics is supposed to be like.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WAYWO (What Are You Working On)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    academicsuk.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: WAYWO (What Are You Working On)  Reply with quote

Keep us updated with what you are trying to write at the moment.

This week I'm trying to send in the final revisions to a paper that I think was "accepted subject to revisions" which makes me a bit slapdash - but I did a lot on it yesterday and nearly finished it today, which makes me think "why was I putting it off so long".

After that I'm going to try and finish the revisions to a Revise & Resubmit that I have been working on for a while.

Next week I've promised myself I'll start the lit review for a paper that my PhD student needs have out before he can submit his paper (though he's not as far along as he said he would be so I don't feel so guilty!).
frog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to write up my disseration for a M.ed. I like doing it, it's nice to think it's 'just' a student dissertation and not a peer reviewed paper, and i find it interesting. But I'm just not very good at keeping my attention focused. (which is why it's great to have a whole new bulletin board to play on! Hey, facebook is so Last Week).

What I should be writing is a heavy going paper started by my RA whose contract has now finished and I have to rework for publication. I haven't looked at it for a few months and can't find the head space to tackle it.

frog
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my edits on the acc-subj-rev paper. Hooray! It was one of those "don't know why I was putting it off" jobs, to be honest.

I know I have some graphs to do for the R'n'R paper but I am not sure what else there is, except the abstract. So I don't know if I'll finish it this week, but I should at least be able to make an updated list of what there is to do, and make a start on the graphs.

Unfortunately last time I tried to work on the graphs I thought I could use this really nice graphics package we have but it wouldn't do them the right way round, if you see what I mean, so I had to revert to SPSS which I would never normally use for graphs.

I've just realised I also have an end-of-grant report for a small grant I got from Nuffield but our server (where I shared the data with the RA) has gone off to be repaired (we are assured nothing has been lost, and it's all backed up anyway) so I can't work on that at the moment. Shame.
frog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told at my development review thingy that the next thing i should do is write a book.
I suspect this might be quite a subject specific question... but any tips?!
frog
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, a book! I imagine that's quite common in non-science type subjects, it sounds like a very large undertaking though.

I've now finished both paper revisions that I need to do and am actually starting a draft of the new paper I should be writing. I have no idea why but strangely I feel guilty at spending time on it, I expect because I feel as if admin (read: messy office) and teaching (read: PhD and MSc students clamouring for me to read things) are more urgent.
frog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. It seems to me it's a heck of a lot of words but ultimately, still one output on your CV or RAE.

Anyway, I've thought of something that would be interesting to do and doesn't just involve me putting forwards 'everything frog thinks about X'... which is good, because the 'everything frog thinks about X' mode of book writing is problematic on oh so many fronts, pragmatic and theoretical.

F
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Don't faint... Reply with quote

but I have actually done a very very rough draft of both the Introduction and the Methods for my new article. I then discovered I needed to go back over the data even to finish writing the Methods so that's next.

I know your field includes some "visuals", could you not pad your book out with them?? Twisted Evil
mariawolters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been writing a 10page conference paper using Rowena murray's approach (i.e. first abstract, then level 1 outline, then level 2, then level 3, i.e. drilling down to the 100-word level) I've also assigned word counts to sections. Must say that I'm finding this easier to do than expected. A lot of prep work, but at least now I know what else I need to do.

It also makes writing that much easier because I can now dive straight into another section when I'm stuck and can scan for a 100-word bit I know how to write.
frog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another day, another chunk of the M.Ed dissertation. I'm not doing badly, now got 17,000 of the 20,000 (though as usual I'm sure I'll overshoot and have to cut it down). I'd like to finish it by the end of next week. This is slightly optimistic since next week is very full of admissions stuff... but it's quick writing and I need to make sure it doesn't pootle on indefinitely.

frog
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Frog.

I am really amazed with myself, I have almost finished the journal article which was just a blank page last month! I want to check a few things in the library and redo a few of the stats, and then that should be it. I think I will send it to a few colleagues for opinions before submitting it, and as per Rowena Murray's book I may sound out the editors before sending it anywhere - I am not really up for writing an article with a specific journal in mind, yet, but it seems to be worth sending something before submitting just in case they wouldn't even look at it.

I have a few more ideas for what to write next and can't decide whether to try and finally edit something that probably needs more data, which I may get at some stage in the next year, but I really want to see the back of, or whether to start something else.

There would be a followup paper to the one I'm just finishing which would be in conjunction with my PhD student. I have a feeling he thinks he's written the article but his ideas are a bit different to mine...
frog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay... I am onto the final proof read of my M.Ed. should be submitting tomorrow. (It's quite funny to be on the student side of things again).
Xiongmao

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, is that part of an "Academic Practice" course?
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad I only had to do the teaching certificate "lite" when I started lecturing, I seem to have hit just the right point in time.

I've had two rejections (boo) and one and a half revise-and-resubmit recently so although I have a couple of new articles in the pipeline (where they are actually words on the page, not ideas in my head), I need to get at least one of those back somewhere this month. I've set myself the target of revising the one article and making a decision on where to send the second.

The half is partly a half because I'm not main author (I had supervisory input to someone else's PhD student and we are all authors) but also a half because essentially it was rejected despite fairly good reviewers' comments, and my colleague is thinking of appealing.  He's braver than me!
Xiongmao

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can appeal? It would be never in my mind to do that either! Very Happy
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My co-author is confident we can, and I have heard of others doing it in my field quite often. He says you need to strike while the iron is hot so he's doing it today I think - we just got the review back last week.
Xiongmao

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Smile And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. It would never cross my mind to do this  Cool
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like we may have had some luck - the other editor didn't totally blow us back - I actually saw the original editor at a conference and didn't tell him "you're, er, misguided" and was actually quite nice. It helped that a good friend was supervised by him for her PhD and she teases him rotten anyway! Small world, as usual!

I'm now finishing up what must be the quickest paper ever - I had a pretty good talk and poster out of this data (different venues) but the poster was at the conference I've just been to and I was overwhelmed by the response (got rid of 25 handouts in the first 10 mins) so I thought I'd better get on and write it up quickly before someone else nicked my idea. I spent an afternoon at the conference writing an outline and started writing it up properly 2 weeks ago - and am nearly finished!

Only one problem now - getting in contact with the student who collected half of the data, but whose email address is bouncing  Confused
frog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to start another paper and am prevaricating greatly.

been the usual 'very busy' state teaching and admin-wise (moan... this is my 'light' teaching half semester and this week has 4 half days of contact time! But at least no open days). But also I've already written one research summary brochure, one refereed paper, one end-of-award report (5000 words), one 'professional' magazine article (2800 words) on the research project... I'm a bit written out on it!

I have got an origional angle on it, I think, for this paper, but it's still difficult to keep myself fresh and interested. I've re-borrowed the Rowena Murrey book from the library and hopefully that will give me a few tips.

My target is various half days of protected time over the next three weeks, 400 words per half day, with an aim of 4,000 words done by the second May bank hol.
Dr Spouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good target - I've been finding recently I can write for the first time quite fluently but when I'm rewriting it's like pulling teeth (I wrote "pulling hens' teeth first - which would be hard for a different reason!). I can sit and stare at the same page, with side trips to tidy the kitchen, read my favourite internet fora, and make cups of tea, for hours.

I sent the finished draft of the ultra-quick article to three colleagues who are either nice, or have an interest, or both, for comments. Two asked if it was OK to read it by next week which made me laugh, given my normal speed of writing. One however owes me something else as well so I'm not sure whether to give up on him entirely, make him feel guilty, or what.

Do other people rely a lot on comments from colleagues before submitting? Do you find they bear any relationship to editors'/reviewers' comments or are they just usually nice?
frog

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To confess. I have hardly written anything.

BUT! I have made really good progress on the paper.

I plucked up the courage to use a upcoming presentation to another department to flesh out new structure, findings and discussion which shapes the new paper (rather than going over the old stuff again). This took all my research time for a week but it was good stuff.
    After the presentation I then went over the ppt, making comments within the ppt, dragging around the slides to re-order, split sections, re-title.
    I then gave another presentation, this time to a small research group, using the copy of the presentation with all the comments etc still on there.

So, I can say this. It really helps to develop a paper to give a full presentation on it (each presentation was best part of an hour).
make lots of notes immediately after the presentation, directly 'onto' the presentation.
Do two presentations in a row!

oh... and then write it up. I'm getting to that bit, honest!

frog
    [list=][/list]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    academicsuk.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Writing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
    Page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: